Re: cephfs change metadata pool?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Di Zhang <zhangdibio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Is there any way to change the metadata pool for a cephfs without losing
> any existing data? I know how to clone the metadata pool using rados cppool.
> But the filesystem still links to the original metadata pool no matter what
> you name it.
>
>     The motivation here is to decrease the pg_num of the metadata pool. I
> created this cephfs cluster sometime ago, while I didn't realize that I
> shouldn't assign a large pg_num to such a small pool.
>
>     I'm not sure if I can delete the fs and re-create it using the existing
> data pool and the cloned metadata pool.

It may not be impossible, but it is a wild and crazy untested
procedure that I would only do if my system was badly broken and I had
no other options.

**COMPLETELY UNTESTED AND DANGEROUS**

stop all MDS daemons
delete your filesystem (but leave the pools)
use "rados export" and "rados import" to do a full copy of the
metadata to a new pool (*not* cppool, it doesn't copy OMAP data)
use "ceph fs new" to create a new filesystem that uses your new metadata pool
use "ceph fs reset" to skip the creating phase of the new filesystem
start MDS daemons

**COMPLETELY UNTESTED AND DANGEROUS**

As Christian mentions later in the thread, 512 PGs isn't such a crazy
number, so you may well find that your real issue isn't the
configuration of your metadata pool.

John