Re: cephfs change metadata pool?

Hello,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 20:57:00 -0500 Di Zhang wrote:

> I am using 10G infiniband for cluster network and 1G ethernet for public.
Hmm, very unbalanced, but I guess that's HW you already had.

> Because I don't have enough slots on the node, so I am using three files on
> the OS drive (SSD) for journaling, which really improved but not entirely
> solved the problem.

If you can, use partitions instead of files, less overhead.
What model SSD is that?

Also putting the meta-data pool on SSDs might help.

> I am quite happy with the current IOPS, which range from 200 MB/s to 400
> MB/s sequential write, depending on the block size.
That's not IOPS, that's bandwidth, throughput.

>But the problem is,
> when I transfer data to the cephfs at a rate below 100MB/s, I can observe
> the slow/blocked requests warnings after a few minutes via "ceph -w".

I doubt the speed has anything to do with this, but the actual block size
and IOPS numbers.

As always, watch your storage nodes with atop (or iostat) during such
scenarios/tests and spot the bottlenecks.

>It's
> not specific to any particular OSDs. So I started to doubt if the
> configuration is correct or upgrading to Jewel can solve it.

Jewel is likely to help in general, but can't fix insufficient HW or
broken configurations.

> There are about 5,000,000 objects currently in the cluster.

You're robably not hitting his, but read the recent filestore merge and
split threads, including the entirety of this thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg29243.html

Christian