Advice on meaty CRUSH map update

Hi all.

I'm about to perform a rather large reorganization of our cluster and thought I'd get some insight from the community before going any further.

The current state we have (logically) is two trees, one for spinning rust, one for SSD.  Chassis are the current failure domain, and are all chassis types are organized under a single rack.

The machines have been physically been relocated across 4 racks and I have re-written the crush map to organize it so the chassis are correctly located in the correct racks.  I intend to also change the rules so that the failure domain is now at the rack level so we can tolerate more severe power and switching failure.

Question is how is the best way to do this?

1) The pragmatist in me says commit the new crush map, let things rebalance, then apply a new rule set to each pool and again let things rebalance.

2) It would however mean much less scheduled maintenance and keep customers happier if I could just do everything as a big bang and do everything at once e.g. rename the existing rule sets to replicated_rack_leaf(_ssd), and change the chooseleaf option to type rack, and hope for the best :)

Is the latter safe or just plain crazy?

Si

DataCentred Limited registered in England and Wales no. 05611763