Advice on increasing pgs

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to most safely increase the pgs in our primary ceph pool.

A bit of background: We're running ceph 0.80.9 and have a cluster of 126 OSDs with only 64 pgs allocated to the pool. As a result, 2 OSDs are now 88% full, while the pool is only showing as 6% used.

Based on my understanding, this is clearly a placement problem, so the plan is to increase to 2048 pgs. In order to avoid significant performance degradation, we'll be incrementing pg_num and pgp_num one power of two at a time and waiting for the cluster to rebalance before making the next increment.

My question is: are there any other steps we can take to minimize potential performance impact? And/or is there a way to model or predict the level of impact, based on cluster configuration, data placement, etc?

Thanks in advance for any answers,
Robin