Re: Monitor question

On 07/07/2016 04:17 PM, Fran Barrera wrote:
Hi all,

I have a cluster setup AIO with only one monitor and now I've created
another monitor in other server following this doc
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-mons/ but my
problem is if I stop the AIO monitor, the cluster stop working. It seems
like the ceph is not updated with the new mon or something

In the doc you quoted, one can read:

"Due to the nature of Paxos, Ceph requires a majority of monitors running to establish a quorum (thus establishing consensus).

[...]

For instance, on a 2 monitor deployment, no failures can be tolerated in order to maintain a quorum; with 3 monitors, one failure can be tolerated; [...]"

And in a box beneath, you also see

"Note: A majority of monitors in your cluster must be able to reach each other in order to establish a quorum."

So, say you have 2 monitors and you need a majority of them to be up, running, and able to communicate with each other in order to form quorum. What's a majority of 2? How many failures can you tolerate?

  -Joao