Antw: Re: Mounting Ceph RBD image to XenServer 7 as SR

>>> Jake Young <jak3kaj@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am Donnerstag, 30. Juni 2016
um 00:28:
> On Wednesday, June 29, 2016, Mike Jacobacci <mikej@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there anyone using rbd for xenserver vm storage?  I have
XenServer 7

http://www.mad-hacking.net/documentation/linux/ha-cluster/storage-area-networ

> k/ceph-xen-domu.xml
>>
>> and this plugin (which looks nice):
>> https://github.com/mstarikov/rbdsr
>>
>> I am looking for a way that doesn*t involve too much command line
so other
>> admins that don*t know Ceph or XenServer very well can work with
it.  I am
>> just curious what others are doing* Any help is greatly
appreciated!

>> Cheers,
>> Mike
>>

> I'm not a XenServer user, so I can't help you there; but I feel your
pain
> using Ceph for VMware storage.
>
> I'm surprised that any major Linux distributions haven't considered
> enabling rbd modules in initrd.

It seems also to be of topic in this list. One's asking for this
feature in a ceph course
I was asked, why one should do this.

The only answer is: Having a storage device of any kind, you want to
boot from it (I think).
And it avoids additional layers like rbd via iSCSI.

We are using rbd's as system disks on our KVM hosts configured with
dracut on
Gentoo (is that major?).

It works well with only one beauty mistake. Exactly 2 hours after boot
we run in this issue:
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/4282

It's interesting to see that the VM rbd's are running well while the
system disk is blocked
for exactly one hour.
Seems like this has something to do with timing during boot without
respecting time zones.

Can anyone share experiences with booting from rbd?

> I can see having a tiny OS image containing not much more than grub
and the
> boot kernel. The trick would be to find a way to manage the boot
string in
> the grub conf on a large scale.
>
> Jake

Steffen