Strange behavior in Hammer

When doing FIO RBD benchmarking using 94.7 on Ubuntu 14.04 using 10 SSD/OSD and with/and without journals on separate SSDs, I get an even distribution of IO to the OSD and to the journals (if used).

If I drop the # of OSD's down to 8, the IO to the journals is skewed by 40%, meaning 1 journal is doing 40% more IO than the other journal. Same test, same 32 iodepth, performance drops because 1 journal is 90% busy and the other journal is 40% busy.

I did another set of tests putting the journals on a single PCIe flash card. Using 10 ssd/osd's, the ceph ops is very consistent. If I drop the # of OSD's down to 8, the ceph ops varies from 28,000 to 10,000 and performance drops.

The ssd's and pcie card operate without any errors and the appropriate device tuning has been applied. Ceph health is OK, no errors at the system or ceph level.

Any ideas what could be cuasing this behavior?
Thanks

Rick Stehno
Sr. Database and Ceph Performance Architect  @ Seagate