Re: Switches and latency

> aside from the question of the coolness factor of Infinitiband,
> you should always also consider the question of replacing parts and
> extending cluster.
>
> A 10G Network environment is up to date currently, and will be for some
> more years. You can easily get equipment for it, and the pricing gets
> lower and lower. Also you can use that network environment also for
> other stuff ( if needed ) just to keep flexibility.
>
> With the IB stuff, you can only use it for one purpose. And you have a (
> very ) limited choice of options to get new parts.

I totally agree with you on this.
This is exactly my biggest concern, I don't know IB, IB hardware is hard to find
from my distributor and currently is not useble for anything else except for
storage.

A 10GB ethernet (even better a 10GBaseT) would be used for everything, even
for our local offices in case we need to change some parts. I can
dismiss one 10GB switch
from datacenter, replace it with a newer one and use the replaced one
in our offices.

The same would not be possible with IB as i'll have to redesign the
whole office network or similiar.