CEPH with NVMe SSDs and Caching vs Journaling on SSDs

A few questions.

First, is there a good step by step to setting up a caching tier with NVMe SSDs that are on separate hosts?  Is that even possible?

Second, what sort of performance are people seeing from caching tiers/journaling on SSDs in Jewel?

Right now I am working on trying to find best practice for a CEPH cluster with 3 monitor nodes, and 3 OSDs with 1 800GB NVMe drive and 12 6TB drives.

My goal is reliable/somewhat fast performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim Gipson
Systems Engineer

618 Grassmere Park Drive, Suite 12