Re: RBD Stripe/Chunk Size (Order Number) Pros Cons

Hi,

larger stripe size (to an extent) will generally improve large sequential read and write performance. There's overhead though. It means more objects which can slow things down at the filestore level when PG splits occur and also potentially means more inodes fall out of cache, longer syncfs, etc. On the other hand, if using cache tiering, smaller objects means less data to promote which can be a big win for small IO.

Basically the answer is that there are pluses and minuses, and the exact behavior will depend on your kernel configuration, hardware, and use case. I think 4MB has been a fairly good default thus far (might change with bluestore), but tuning for a specific use case may mean a smaller or larger size is better.

Mark