Re: Disaster recovery and backups

On Sunday, June 5, 2016, Gandalf Corvotempesta <gandalf.corvotempesta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Let's assume that everything went very very bad and i have to manually
recover a cluster with an unconfigured ceph.

1. How can i recover datas directly from raw disks?  Is this possible?

There have been a few threads on this here, but all look complicated, time consuming and not guaranteed to work, to be used only as last resort.

2. How can i restore a ceph cluster (and have data back) by using
existing disks?

Back up either using RBD export/export-diff or an OS tool.  Jewel has rbd mirroring to another cluster.

3. How do you manage backups for ceph, in huge clusters?

We are building an appliance that relies on rbd export-diff.  There are well documented commands for it, and my early testing was able to demonstrate successful restore.

Best regards,
Alex

Alex Gorbachev
Storcium