OSPF to the host

Hi All,

Has anybody had any experience with running the network routed down all the way to the host?

I know the standard way most people configured their OSD nodes is to bond the two nics which will then talk via a VRRP gateway and then probably from then on the networking is all Layer3. The main disadvantage I see here is that you need a beefy inter switch link to cope with the amount of traffic flowing between switches to the VRRP address. I’ve been trying to design around this by splitting hosts into groups with different VRRP gateways on either switch, but this relies on using active/passive bonding on the OSD hosts to make sure traffic goes from the correct Nic to the directly connected switch.

What I was thinking, instead of terminating the Layer3 part of the network at the access switches, terminate it at the hosts. If each Nic of the OSD host had a different subnet and the actual “OSD Server” address bound to a loopback adapter, OSPF should advertise this loopback adapter address as reachable via the two L3 links on the physically attached Nic’s. This should give you a redundant topology which also will respect your physically layout and potentially give you higher performance due to ECMP.

Any thoughts, any pitfalls?