Re: CoreOS Cluster of 7 machines and Ceph

Sorry for the late reply - been traveling.

I'm doing exactly that right now, using the ceph-docker container.
It's just in my test rack for now, but hardware arrived this week to
seed the production version.

I'm using separate containers for each daemon, including a container
for each OSD.  I've got a bit of cloudinit logic to loop over all
disks in a machine, fire off a "prepare" container if the disk isn't
partitioned, then start an "activate" container to bring the OSD up.
Works pretty well; I can power on a new machine, and get a stack of
new OSDs about 5 minutes later.

I've opted to not allow ANY containers to run on local disk, and we're
setting up appropriate volume plugins (for NFS, CephFS, and Ceph RBDs)
now.  IN THEORY (so far, so good) volumes will be dynamically mapped
into the container at startup.  This should let us orchestrate
containers with Swarm or Kubernetes, and give us the same volumes
wherever they land.  In a few weeks we'll start experimenting with a
vxlan network plugin as well, to allow similar flexibility with IPs
and subnets.  Once that's done, our registry will become just another
container (though we'll need a master registry, with storage on local
disk SOMEWHERE, to be able to handle a cold-boot of the Ceph
containers).

I'm curious where you're going with your environment.  To me,
Ceph+Docker seems like a nice match; if others are doing this, we
should definitely pool experiences.

--
Mike Shuey