Re: rbd mirror : space and io requirements ?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm begin to look at rbd mirror features.
>
> How much space does it take ? Is it only a journal with some kind of list of block changes ?

There is a per-image journal which is a log of all modifications to
the image.  The log will be trimmed as the remote peer consumes the
entries. We have a feature tracker ticket to add support for
disconnecting laggy peers if they are behind by some roughly
configurable amount of space. Unfortunately, until that feature lands,
the journal can continue to grow if your peer cannot keep up with the
journal entries.

> and how much io/s does it take ?
> worst case, 4k block write , how much write in journal ?

A 4K write will result in a slightly more than 4K journal entry (the
journal entries have a small header, CRC, etc).

> My osd are ssd, 1journal + data for each osd/ssd, but I don't overloaded them with write currently.

The journal entries are append-only operations so they should be
fairly light ops on the OSD side as compared to RBD block
(over)writes. You can also optionally configure journal event batching
via the 'rbd_journal_object_flush_age' config option if you can
support losing (crash consistent) X seconds of updates.

> Regards,
>
> Alexandre

Jason