mark_unfound_lost revert|delete behaviour

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me how the ceph pg x.x mark_unfound_lost revert|delete
command is meant to work?
Due to some not fully know strange circumstances I have 1 unfound
object in one of my pools.
I've read through
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-pg/#unfound-objects
and it seems pretty clear that the object is lost and needs to be
reverted or deleted.
However when I run the revert it returns quickly and doesn't seem to
do anything. The first time I tried this it also kicked the osd that
was the primary for this pg. This seemed bad so I restarted the osd. I
tried reverting again and nothing happened.
Later I tried deleting the unfound and a similar thing happened - the
osd which was primary went down. This time though the command didn't
return straight away and the loadaverage on that box skyrocketed to
around 1800. I restarted the OSD, but noticed that it didn't seem to
have caused a lot of pg's to require recovery as it would normally
when an osd is down.
So I'm wondering if the osd is meant to go down?
Can anyone confirm the sequence of events that are expected when
issuing the mark_unfound_lost? I have not managed to find any info
when googling.

Regards,
Richard