Re: NVRAM cards as OSD journals

I'm contemplating the same thing as well.  Or rather, I'm actually doing some testing.  I have a Netlist EV3 and have seen ~6GB/s read and write for any block size larger than 16k or so, IIRC.

Sebastien Han has a blog page with journal benchmarks, I've added the specifics there.

This week, I expect to test the performance with ceph on a single node.  I have two identically configured nodes, each with 8 SATA SSDs as OSDs.  My goal is to see if the nvram card improves the performance, specifically with regard to latency.

The Netlist folks claim significantly improved performance for 64k blocks with ceph.  Thy and reduced latency bodes well for database type use cases.

-H