Re: free krbd size in ubuntu12.04 in ceph 0.67.9

On Fri, 20 May 2016 17:00:03 +0800 lin zhou wrote:

> Hi,cephers
> we only  using krbd in ceph.and it works well near two yeas.but now I
> face a size problem.
>
> I have 7 nodes with 10 3T osd each.we using ceph 0.67.9 in
> ubuntu12.04.I know it is too old,but update is beyond my control.
>
> and now we use 80% size,so we start to delete historic unneeded
> data,but free size do not increase.
>
> and then I found  total assigned size of rbds are much bigger than
> ceph size,so it means if we do not do something,it will reach the
> limit.
>
> but the true data in the user side,we only use 40%.
>
> I read the blog of Sebastien and some maillist.I know the command of
> fstrim in kernel 3.18 can deal with it. and is it risky that update
> kernel to 3.18 in ubuntu12.04?
>
> I try to add discard option in mount command,but it do not work.
>
> so what way do you recommend to free krbd size in ceph 0.67.9 in
> ubuntu12.04

If you're considering a kernel upgrade (and thus a service interruption),
another option would be to unmount that image on your old machine, mount
it on a newer machine and/or with librbd and fuse and then run fstrim.

However trim is a pretty costly activity in Ceph, so it may
a) impact your cluster performance and
b) take a while, depending on how much data we're talking about.

Lastly, while having a sparse storage serice like Ceph is very nice I
always try to have enough actual space available to handle all
commitments.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/