Maximum RBD image name length

As of today, neither the rbd CLI nor librbd imposes any limit on the maximum length of an RBD image name, whereas krbd has roughly a 100 character limit and the OSDs have a default object name limit of roughly 2000 characters. While there is a patch under review to increase the krbd limit, it would still be bounded to a maximum in the low thousands of characters.

Starting with the Kraken release, we would like to add validation for a sensible maximum image name length when creating new images .  I am looking for feedback from any users who require very long RBD image names (>100 characters) to help guide this limit.

Thanks,

--
Jason