Re: OSD node memory sizing

Hello Christian,

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 18 May 2016 13:57:59 +0200 Dietmar Rieder wrote:
>
>> Dear Ceph users,
>>
>> I've a question regarding the memory recommendations for an OSD node.
>>
>> The official Ceph hardware recommendations say that an OSD node should
>> have 1GB Ram / TB OSD [1]
>>
>> The "Reference Architecture" whitpaper from Red Hat & Supermicro says
>> that "typically" 2GB of memory per OSD on a OSD node is used. [2]
>>
> This question has been asked and answered here countless times.
>
> Maybe something a bit more detailed ought to be placed in the first
> location, or simply a reference to the 2nd one.
> But then again, that would detract from the RH added value.

thanks for replying, nonetheless.
I checked the list before but I failed to find a definitive answer, may
be I was not looking hard enough. Anyway, thanks!

>> According to the recommendation in [1] an OSD node with 24x 8TB OSD
>> disks is "underpowered "  when it is equipped with 128GB of RAM.
>> However, following the "recommendation" in [2] 128GB should be plenty
>> enough.
>>
> It's fine per se, the OSD processes will not consume all of that even in
> extreme situations.

Ok, if I understood this correctly, then 128GB should be enough also
during rebalancing or backfilling.

> Very large OSDs and high density storage nodes have other issues and
> challenges, tuning and memory wise.
> There are several threads about these recently, including today.

Thanks, I'll study these...

>> I'm wondering which of the two is good enough for a Ceph cluster with 10
>> nodes using EC (6+3)
>>
> I would spend more time pondering about the CPU power of these machines
> (EC need more) and what cache tier to get.

We are planing to equip the OSD nodes with 2x2650v4 CPUs (24 cores @
2.2GHz), that is 1 core/OSD. For the cache tier each OSD node gets two
800Gb NVMe's. We hope this setup will give reasonable performance with EC.

> That is, if performance is a requirement in your use case.

Always, who wouldn't care about performance?  :-)

Dietmar

D i e t m a r  R i e d e r, Mag.Dr.
Innsbruck Medical University
Biocenter - Division for Bioinformatics