Re: Erasure pool performance expectations

You might want to rethink that slightly. Keeping in mind that with EC pools currently any write will force a promotion and then dirty the object. If you are then almost immediately flushing the objects back down, you are going to end up with a lot of amplification for writes. You want to keep dirty objects in the cache pool so that you don't incur this penalty if they are going to be written to again in the near future.

I'm guessing what you want is a buffer, so that you can have bursts of activity without incurring the performance penalty of flushing? That’s hopefully what the high and low flushes should give you. By setting to .4 and .6, you will have a .2x"Cache Tier Capacity" buffer of cache tier space, where only slow flushing will occur.

> And let me know if that helps.
>

> > The measurement is a problem for me at the moment. I'm trying to get the
> > perf dumps into collectd/graphite but it seems I need to hand roll a solution
> > since the plugins I found are not working anymore. What I'm doing now is
> > just summing the bandwidth statistics from my nodes to get an
> > approximated number. I hope to make some time this week to write a
> > collectd plugin to fetch get the actual stats from perf dumps.
>
> I've used diamond to collect the stats and it worked really well. I can share
> my graphite query to sum the promote/flush rates as well if it helps?
> I will check out diamond, are you using this specifically?
> https://github.com/BrightcoveOS/Diamond/wiki/collectors-CephCollector
>
> It would be great if you could share your graphite queries :)

You will need to modify them to suit your environment. But in the below examples 4 and 7 are the SSD's in the cache tier. You can probably change the "Ceph-Test" server to "*" to catch all servers

alias(scaleToSeconds(nonNegativeDerivative(sumSeries(servers.Ceph-Test.CephCollector.ceph.osd.[4|7].osd.op_r)),1),"SSD R IOP/s")
alias(scaleToSeconds(nonNegativeDerivative(sumSeries(servers.Ceph-Test.CephCollector.ceph.osd.[4|7].osd.tier_proxy_read)),1),"Proxy Reads/s")
alias(scaleToSeconds(nonNegativeDerivative(sumSeries(servers.Ceph-Test.CephCollector.ceph.osd.[4|7].osd.tier_try_flush)),1),"Flushes/s")
alias(scaleToSeconds(nonNegativeDerivative(sumSeries(servers.Ceph-Test.CephCollector.ceph.osd.[4|7].osd.tier_promote)),1),"Promotions/s")
alias(scaleToSeconds(nonNegativeDerivative(sumSeries(servers.Ceph-Test.CephCollector.ceph.osd.[4|7].osd.tier_evict)),1),"Evictions/s")
alias(scaleToSeconds(nonNegativeDerivative(sumSeries(servers.Ceph-Test.CephCollector.ceph.osd.[4|7].osd.tier_proxy_write)),1),"Proxy Writes/s")
alias(scale(servers.Ceph-Test.CephPoolsCollector.ceph.pools.cache2.MB_used,0.001024),"GB Cache Used")
alias(scale(servers.Ceph-Test.CephPoolsCollector.ceph.pools.cache2.target_max_MB,0.001024),"Target Max GB")
alias(scale(servers.Ceph-Test.CephPoolsCollector.ceph.pools.cache2.dirty_objects,0.004),"Dirty GB")