Re: Weighted Priority Queue testing

+ceph users

Hi,

Here is first cut result. I can only manage 128TB box for now.

Ceph code base

Capacity

Each drive capacity

Compute-nodes

Total copy

Total data-set

Failure domain

Fault-injected

Percentage of degraded PGs

Full recovery time

Last 1% of degraded PG recovery time

Hammer

2X128TB IF150

8TB

2

2

~80TB

Chassis

One OSD node down

~20%

~24 hours

~3-4 hours

Hammer

2X128TB IF150

8TB

4

2

~80TB

Chassis

One OSD node down

~10%

10 hours 3 min

~3 hours

Hammer

2X128TB IF150

4TB

4

2

~100TB

Chassis

One OSD node down

~12.5%

7 hours 5 min

~2.5 hours

Jewel

2X128TB IF150

4TB

4

2

~100TB

Chassis

One OSD node down

~12.5%

6 hours 10 min

~1 hour 30 min

Jewel + wpq

2X128TB IF150

4TB

4

2

~100TB

Chassis

One OSD node down

~12.5%

8 hours 30 min

~4 hours 30 min

1. First scenario, only 4 node scenario and since it is chassis level replication single node remaining on the chassis taking all the traffic. It seems that is a bottleneck as for the host level replication on the similar setup recovery time is much less (data is not in this table).

2. In the second scenario , I kept everything else same but doubled the node/chassis. Recovery time is also half.

3.  For the third scenario, increased cluster data and also now I have doubled the number of  OSDs in the cluster (since each drive size is 4TB now). Recovery time came down further.

4. Moved to Jewel keeping everything else same, got further improvement. Mostly because of improved write performance in jewel (?).

5. Last scenario is interesting. I got improved recovery speed than any other scenario with this WPQ. Degraded PG % came down to 2% within 3 hours , ~0.6% within 4 hours and 15 min , but last 0.6% took ~4 hours hurting overall time for recovery.

6. In fact, this long tail latency is hurting the overall recovery time for every other scenarios. Related tracker I found is http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/15763

Any feedback much appreciated. We can discuss this in tomorrow’s performance call if needed.

Thanks & Regards

Somnath