Re: Ceph Read/Write Speed

Hi Roozbeh,

There isn't nearly enough information here regarding your benchmark and test parameters to be able to tell why you are seeing performance swings. It could be anything from network hiccups, to throttling in the ceph stack, to unlucky randomness in object distribution, to vibrations in the rack causing your disk heads to resync, to fragmentation of the underlying filesystem (especially important for sequential reads).

Generally speaking if you want to try to isolate the source of the problem, it's best to find a way to make the issue repeatable on demand, then setup your tests so you can record system metrics (device queue/service times, throughput stalls, network oddities, etc) and start systematically tracking down when and why slowdowns occur. Sometimes you might even be able to reproduce issues outside of Ceph (Network problems are often a common source).

It might also be worth looking at your PG and data distribution. IE if you have some clumpiness you might see variation in performance as some OSDs starve for IOs while others are overloaded.

Good luck!

Mark