Re: Change MDS's mode from active to standby

After you've decreased max_mds, use "ceph mds deactivate <rank>" on
the ranks you want to get rid of.  If you had two active MDSs, you
would use that with rank=1.

Once you've done that, your second MDS will go into state 'stopping',
and after about 30 seconds (use ceph -w to follow progress) it will go
back into state 'standby', at which point your cluster has been shrunk
successfully.

John