Re: radosgw crash - Infernalis

Hi Brad,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:40:40PM -0400, Brad Hubbard wrote:
[...]
> > 000000000030a810 <_Z13pidfile_writePK11md_config_t@@Base>:
> >   30b09d:       e8 0e 40 e4 ff          callq  14f0b0 <backtrace@plt>
> >   30b0a2:       4c 89 ef                mov    %r13,%rdi
> >   -------
> >
> > So either we tripped backtrace() code from pidfile_write() _or_ we can't
> > trust the stack. From the log snippet, it looks that we're far past the point
> > at which we would write a pidfile to disk (ie. at process start during
> > global_init()).
> > Rather, we're actually handling a request and outputting some bit of debug
> > message
> > via MSDOp::print() and beyond...
>
> It would help to know what binary this is and what OS.
>
> We know the offset into the function is 0x30b0a2 but we don't know which
> function yet AFAICT. Karol, how did you arrive at pidfile_write? Purely from
> the offset? I'm not sure that would be reliable...

Correct, from the offset. Let me clarify, I don't think pidfile_write() is the
function in which we segfaulted :) Hence my suspicion of a blown stack. I don't
know the specifics behind the backtrace call used to generate this stack... so
maybe this is a naive question... but why do you think the offset is unreliable?
Perhaps I'm not reading this trace correctly?

> This is a segfault so the address of the frame where we crashed should be the
> exact instruction where we crashed. I don't believe a mov from one register to
> another that does not involve a dereference ((%r13) as opposed to %r13) can
> cause a segfault so I don't think we are on the right instruction but then, as
> you say, the stack may be corrupt.

Agreed... a mov between registers wouldn't cause a segfault.

--
Regards,
Karol