Re: Deprecating ext4 support

Hello,

[reduced to ceph-users]

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:43:07 +0200 Steffen Weißgerber wrote:

> > Hello,
> >

> Hi,
>
> > I'm officially only allowed to do (preventative) maintenance during
> > weekend nights on our main production cluster.
> > That would mean 13 ruined weekends at the realistic rate of 1 OSD per
> > night, so you can see where my lack of enthusiasm for OSD recreation
> > comes from.
> >

> Wondering extremely about that. We introduced ceph for VM's on RBD to not
> have to move maintenance time to night shift.

This is Japan.
It makes the most anal retentive people/rules in "der alten Heimat" look
like a bunch of hippies on drugs.

Note the preventative and I should have put "officially" in quotes, like
that.

I can do whatever I feel comfortable with on our other production cluster,
since there aren't hundreds of customers with very, VERY tight SLAs on it.

So if I were to tell my boss that I want to renew all OSDs he'd say "Sure,
but at time that if anything goes wrong it will not impact any customer
unexpectedly" meaning the official maintenance windows...

> My understanding of ceph is that it was also made as reliable storage in
> case of hardware failure.

Reliable, yes. With certain limitations, see below.

> So what's the difference between maintain an osd and it's failure in
> effect for the end user? In both cases it should be none.

Ideally, yes.
Note than an OSD failure can result in slow I/O (to the point of what
would be considered service interruption) depending on the failure mode
and the various timeout settings.

So planned and properly executed maintenance has less impact.
None (or at least not noticeable) IF your cluster has enough resources
and/or all the tuning has been done correctly.

> Maintaining OSD's should be routine so that you're confident that your
> application stays save while hardware fails in a amount one configured
> unused reserve.

IO is a very fickle beast, it may perform splendidly at 2000ops/s just to
totally go down the drain at 2100.
Knowing your capacity and reserve isn't straightforward, especially not in
a live environment as compared to synthetic tests.

In short, could that cluster (now, after upgrades and adding a cache tier)
handle OSD renewals at any given time?
Absolutely.
Will I get an official blessing to do so?
No effing way.

> In the end what happens to your cluster, when a complete node fails?

Nothing much, in fact LESS than when an OSD should fail since it won't
trigger re-balancing (mon_osd_down_out_subtree_limit = host).

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/