Re: adding cache tier in productive hammer environment

Hello,

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 22:45:00 +0200 Oliver Dzombic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently in use:
>
> oldest:
>
> SSDs: Intel S3510 80GB
Ouch.
As in, not a speed wonder at 110MB/s writes (or 2 HDDs worth), but at
least suitable as a journal when it comes to sync writes.
But at 45TBW dangerously low in the in endurance department, I'd check
their wear-out constantly! See the recent thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg28083.html

> HDD: HGST 6TB H3IKNAS600012872SE NAS
HGST should be fine.

> latest:
>
> SSDs: Kingston 120 GB SV300
Don't know them, so no idea if they are suitable when it comes to sync
writes, but at 64TBW also in danger of expiring rather quickly.

> HDDs: HGST 3TB H3IKNAS30003272SE NAS
>
> in future will be in use:
>
> SSDs: Samsung SM863 240 GB
Those should be both suitable in the sync write and endurance department,
alas haven't tested them myself.

> HDDs: HGST 3TB H3IKNAS30003272SE NAS and/or
> Seagate ST2000NM0023 2 TB
>

> -----
>
> Its hard to say, if and at what chance the newer will fail with the
> osd's getting down/out, compared to the old ones.
>
> We did a lot to avoid that.
>
> Without having it in real numbers, my feeling is/was that the newer will
> fail with a much lower chance. But what is responsible for that, is
> unknown.
>
> In the very end, the old nodes have with 2x 2,3 GHz Intel Celeron ( 2x
> cores without HT ) and 3x 6 TB HDD much less cpu power per HDD compared
> to the 4x 3,3 GHz Intel E3-1225v5 CPU ( 4 cores ) with 10x 3 TB HDD.

Yes, I'd suspect CPU exhaustion mostly here, aside from the IO overload.

On my massively underpowered test cluster I've been able to create OSD/MON
failures from exhausting CPU or RAM, on my production clusters never.

> So its just too much different, CPU, HDD, RAM, even the HDD Controller.
>
> I will have to make sure, that the new cluster will have enough Hardware
> to make sure, that i dont need to consider possible problems there.
>
> ------
>
> atop: sda/sdb == SSD journal

Since there are 12 disk, I presume those are Kingston ones.
Frankly I wouldn't expect 10+ms waits from SSDs, but then again they are
90%ish busy when doing only 500IOPS and writing 1.5MB/s.
This indicates to me that they are NOT handling sync writes gracefully and
are not suitable as Ceph journals.

> ------
>
> That was my first experience too. At very first, deep-scrubs and even
> normal scrubs were driving the %WA and business of the HDDs to 100% Flat.
>
> ------
>
> I rechecked it with munin.
>
> The journal SSD's go from ~40% up to 80-90% during deebscrub.
I have no explanation for this, as deep-scrubbing introduces no writes.

> The HDDs go from ~ 20% up to 90-100% flat more or less, during
> deebscrubt.

That's to be expected, again the sleep factor can reduce the impact for
client I/O immensely.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/