From: "Mark Nelson" <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Sage Weil" <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ceph-users@xxxxxxxx, ceph-maintainers@xxxxxxxx, ceph-announce@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:57:16 AM
Subject: Re:  Deprecating ext4 support

On 04/11/2016 04:44 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ext4 has never been recommended, but we did test it.  After Jewel is out,
>> we would like explicitly recommend *against* ext4 and stop testing it.
>
> I should clarify that this is a proposal and solicitation of feedback--we
> haven't made any decisions yet.  Now is the time to weigh in.

To add to this on the performance side, we stopped doing regular
performance testing on ext4 (and btrfs) sometime back around when ICE
was released to focus specifically on filestore behavior on xfs.  There
were some cases at the time where ext4 was faster than xfs, but not
consistently so.  btrfs is often quite fast on fresh fs, but degrades
quickly due to fragmentation induced by cow with
small-writes-to-large-object workloads (IE RBD small writes).  If btrfs
auto-defrag is now safe to use in production it might be worth looking
at again, but probably not ext4.

Set sail for bluestore!

Mark