Infernalis OSD errored out on journal permissions without mentioning anything in its log

This took a little head scratching until I figured out why my osd daemons were not restarting under Infernalis on Gentoo.

I had just upgraded from Hammer to Infernalis and had reset ownership from root:root to ceph:ceph on the files of each OSD in /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-n. However I forgot to take into account the ownership on the journals which I have set up as raw partitions. Under Gentoo, I needed to put the ceph user into the "disk" group to allow it to have write access to the device files.

The osd startup init script started the osd with ok status but the actual process would exit without writing anything to its /var/log/ceph/ceph-osd.n.log. I would have thought there might have been some sort of permission error logged, but nope :-)

Bill Sharer