Re: PG Calculation

Hello,

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 13:44:17 +0100 (CET) Erik Schwalbe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a pg calc question.
>
> https://ceph.com/pgcalc/
>
> We have 45 OSD's.
> 30 OSD's as SSD's and 15 as normal SATA disks.
>
> 2 rulesets:
> ssd and sata

Firstly you treat this as what it is, 2 separate entities.

> We have 6 pools.
>
> data
> metadata
> ssd
> sata
> ssd-bench
> sata-bench
>
> So some pools points to the same ruleset (osd's).
> What is the best pg number per pool if data, metadata ssd and ssd-bench
> points to ssd ruleset and sata + sata-bench to sata ruleset.

Not doing CephFS, but I seem to remember the metadata bit can do with less
PGs than data as it is much smaller.
Also how much data do you expect to be in the data pool compared to ssd?
I'm also assuming that ssd and sata are pools for RBD respectively and
that the bench pools (why? I'd bench on the real pools) are there for what
their name implies.

So for the SSD root with 30 OSDs the suggested count (if you plan on
expansion in the foreseeable future) would be 2048, 1024 for the SATA root.

Not knowing the details, I'd go with:
data 1024 (or 512 if no expansion is planned)
metadata 128
ssd 1024
ssd-bench 128

sata 1024