Re: DSS 7000 for large scale object storage

Yes, rebuild in case of a whole chassis failure is indeed an issue. That depends on how the failure domain looks like.

I'm currently thinking of initially not running fully equipped nodes.
Let's say four of these machines with 60x 6TB drives each, so only loaded 2/3.
That's raw 1440TB distributed over eight OSD nodes.
Each individual OSD-node would therefore host "only" 30 OSDs but still allow for fast expansion.

Usually delivery and installation of a bunch of HDDs is much faster than servers.

I really wonder how easy it is to add additional disks and whether chance for node- or even chassis-failure increases.

Cheers, Bastian