Re: ZFS or BTRFS for performance?

FWIW, from purely a performance perspective Ceph usually looks pretty fantastic on a fresh BTRFS filesystem. In fact it will probably continue to look great until you do small random writes to large objects (like say to blocks in an RBD volume). Then COW starts fragmenting the objects into oblivion. I've seen sequential read performance drop by 300% after 5 minutes of 4K random writes to the same RBD blocks.

Autodefrag might help. A long time ago I recall Josef told me it was dangerous to use (I think it could run the node out of memory and corrupt the FS), but it may be that it's safer now. In any event we don't really do a lot of testing with BTRFS these days as bluestore is indeed the next gen OSD backend. If you do decide to give either BTRFS or ZFS a go with filestore, let us know how it goes. ;)

Mark