Re: [cephfs] About feature 'snapshot'

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:49 AM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Snapshots are disabled by default:
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/cephfs/early-adopters/#most-stable-configuration
>
> Which makes me wonder if we ought to be hiding the .snaps directory
> entirely in that case. I haven't previously thought about that, but it
> *is* a bit weird.

Hmm, we could use the ever_allowed_snaps field to hide .snap.

However, we would still want to prevent people creating a directory
with that name, because if they ever enabled snapshots, we wouldn't
have a way of resolving that.  So it would be weird to omit .snap from
the directory listing, but then give an error if someone tries to
create a folder with that name.  Perhaps showing the folder (even if
snaps are disabled) is the lesser evil.

John