Re: SSDs for journals vs SSDs for a cache tier, which is better?

which is
> better?

> >> Could you elaborate a bit more?
> >>
> >> Are you saying that with a Journal on a SSD writes from clients,
> >> before they can return from the operation to the client, must end up
> >> on both the SSD (Journal) *and* HDD (actual data store behind that
> >> journal)?
> >
> > No, your initial statement is correct.
> >
> > However that burst of speed doesn't last indefinitely.
> >
> > Aside from the size of the journal (which is incidentally NOT the most
> > limiting factor) there are various "filestore" parameters in Ceph, in
> > particular the sync interval ones.
> > There was a more in-depth explanation by a developer about this in
> > this ML, try your google-foo.
> >
> > For short bursts of activity, the journal helps a LOT.
> > If you send a huge number of for example 4KB writes to your cluster,
> > the speed will eventually (after a few seconds) go down to what your
> > backing storage (HDDs) are capable of sustaining.

> >> Intel DC S3700
> >>
> > Good choice, with the 200GB model prefer the 3700 over the 3710
> > (higher sequential write speed).
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at using PCI-E SSDs as journals in our (4) Ceph OSD nodes,
each
> of which has 6 4TB SATA drives within. I had my eye on these:
>
> 400GB Intel P3500 DC AIC SSD, HHHL PCIe 3.0
>
> but reading through this thread, it might be better to go with the P3700
given
> the improved iops. So a couple of questions.
>
> * Are the PCI-E versions of these drives different in any other way than
the
> interface?

Yes and no. Internally they are probably not much difference, but the
NVME/PCIE interface is a lot faster than SATA/SAS, both in terms of minimum
latency and bandwidth.

> * Would one of these as a journal for 6 4TB OSDs be overkill (connectivity
is
> 10GE, or will be shortly anyway), would the SATA S3700 be sufficient?

Again depends on your use case. The S3700 may suffer if you are doing large
sequential writes, it might not have a high enough sequential write speed
and will become the bottleneck. 6 Disks could potentially take around
500-700MB/s of writes. A P3700 will have enough and will give slightly lower
write latency as well if this is important. You may even be able to run more
than 6 disk OSD's on it if needed.

> Given they're not hot-swappable, it'd be good if they didn't wear out in
> 6 months too.

Probably won't unless you are doing some really extreme write workloads and
even then I would imagine they would last 1-2 years.

> I realise I've not given you much to go on and I'm Googling around as
well, I'm
> really just asking in case someone has tried this already and has some
> feedback or advice..

That's ok, I'm currently running S3700 100GB's on current cluster and new
cluster that's in planning stages will be using the 400Gb P3700's.