Re: Understanding "ceph -w" output - cluster monitoring

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:16:13 -0700 Blade Doyle wrote:

> Hi Ceph Community,
>
> I am trying to use "ceph -w" output to monitor my ceph cluster.  The
> basic setup is:
>
> A python script runs ceph -w and processes each line of output.  It finds
> the data it wants and reports it to InfluxDB.  I view the data using
> Grafana, and Ceph Dashboard.

A much richer and more precise source of information would be the various
performance counters and using collectd to feed them into graphite and
friends.
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2014-May/039953.html

I'm using the DWM one, YMMV.

Thanks much for your reply, Christian.

Ugh.  Ok, then it looks like the key info here is to get the data from the osd/mon sockets.  Forgive me for not digging too deep yet, but it looks like I would do something like:

ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.4.asok perf dump

* which of that data is read/write bytes?
* Is that data for the entire cluster, or just that osd?  (would I need to read data from each individual osd sock in the cluster?)

Thanks,
Blade.