Re: Recovering a secondary replica from another secondary replica

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Александр Шишенко <gamepad64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, my aim is to make replicas request chunks of data from each
> other during the recovery process, but not from primary. So, let's
> consider the three-osd cluster with a PG residing on it:
> node1(primary), node2(replica), node3(replica), 3in/3up active+clean
>
> Now, let's shutdown node3.
> node1(primary), node2(replica), node3(replica), 3in/2up
> active+undersized+degraded
>
> After node3 comes back online, the recovery is started and node1 sends
> chunks of data node3. Is there a way to make node2 send these chunks
> instead of node1 without making node2 a primary?

Oh, I see. I think you're missing that there are many PGs on each OSD,
and you will generally be recovering more than one PG at a time. So
rather than doing the (extreme and difficult) bookkeeping to allow
recovery directly via replicas, we count on having PGs whose primary
is different to distribute that work. :)
-Greg