Re: threading requirements for librbd

Are you interesting in the max FD count or max thread count?  You mention both in your email.

Right now qemu doesn't pool OSD connections when you have multiple RBD images connected to the same VM -- each image uses its own librbd/librados instance.  Since each image, at the worst case, might have to connect to each OSD and MON, that should be enough to determine the rough upper bound that you will require for qemu (e.g. 3 MONs, 1000 OSDs, max 10 RBD images per VM == roughly 10,000 socket connections worse case).

In regards to threads, as a rough guide, each socket connection currently requires two threads (at least until the newer messaging layer is adopted on the client-side) and each open RBD image requires a few threads for internal processing (i.e. cache writeback, AIO processing, etc).

--

Jason Dillaman