Re: Can I rebuild object maps while VMs are running ?

Le 07/03/2016 17:58, Jason Dillaman a écrit :
> Documentation of these new RBD features is definitely lacking and I've opened a tracker ticket to improve it [1].
>
> [1] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/15000

Hey, thank you Jason! :)

> That's disheartening to hear that your RBD images were corrupted -- do you have any more detail as to what happened? Enabling the object map is designed to flag the object map as invalid, so it won't be used as a reference for any IO ops until it is successfully rebuilt.

No problem at all, as it was just a test. As I saw the VM losing its disk (the file system wasn't available anymore even for a remount), the VM went all "IO error" on every disk access, but the shell was still there.

Infernalis 9.2.0 (it was the day just before the 9.2.1 bugfix release :) ). KVM + QEMU + libvirt with RBD disks on the QEMU side.

The RBDs only had the layering feature enabled.

With the VMs powered on, I enabled the exclusive-lock, the object map and fast-diff features. I then proceeded rebuilding the object-map in order to test the "rbd du" command... and get rid of some pesky invalid-object-map-related warnings. Yes, some warning showed up when I typed "rbd info XXX" or "rbd du XX" before successfully compiling the object-map.

The object-map rebuild process started with more of these "warnings", ran for a while showing the completion percentage as it's supposed to, but it presented me some more warnings at the end. Meanwhile, in VM-land, the disk was inaccessible from the kernel point of view, ext4 presented me its best "goodbye cruel world" testament, while, naturally, the shell reacted with a nice IO error at every attempt of running external programs. Clearly, with any IO interrupted until next reboot, for us any on-disk data is considered as corrupted.

Did the "rbd rebuild" process take the exclusive-lock on the RBD ?

I'm re-testing this while I'm typing, on infernalis 9.2.1.

Added the exclusive-lock, object-map and fast-diff features, a lot of sweating on my side, but the guest kernel didn't blink.

Started rebuilding the object-map aaaaand...

Object Map Rebuild: 99% complete...failed.
rbd: rebuilding object map failed: (16) Device or resource busy

The VM continues working without interruption.

Non-intensive but continuous IO on the guest filesystem was ongoing the whole time.

Stopped any IO, launched the rebuild, same "busy" message.

Stopped the VM, rebuild.

Object Map Rebuild: 100% complete...done.

That's a lot better than the previous experience. :)

Thanks

Loris