Re: Fwd: List of SSDs

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 16:09:17 +0900 Shinobu Kinjo wrote:

> Comparing with these SSDs,
>
>  S3710s
>  S3610s
>  SM863
>  845DC Pro
>
> which one is more reasonable in terms of performance, cost or whatever?
> S3710s does not sound reasonable to me.

Apples and Oranges.
I use S3700s (I would use 3710s only if larger than 200GB, which I have no
use case for now) exclusively for journals, especially when I can't
control the write usage/patterns.
Their speed and endurance is worth the money in my book.

I use S3610s for a cache pool, because the price/performance is right, the
endurance is sufficient and the write patterns/volume is well known and
predictable.

> > And I had no luck at all getting the newer versions into a generic
> > kernel or Debian.
>
> So it's not always better to use newer version. Is my understanding
> right? If I don't understand that properly, point it out to me. I'm
> pretty serious about that.

The problem was getting their module to compile/integrate as it was
against kernel versions I did not/could not use.
Newer LSI/Avago kernel drivers and firmware are definitely recommended,
given the problems the older stuff has.

Christian