Re: rbd cache did not help improve performance

I can use the following command to change parameter, for example as the following,  but not sure whether it will work.

 ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.openpower-0.asok config set rbd_readahead_disable_after_bytes 0

If you are mapping the RBD with the kernel driver then you're not using librbd so these settings will have no effect I believe.  The kernel driver does its own caching but I don't believe there are any settings to change its default behavior.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 9:36 PM, Shinobu Kinjo <skinjo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You may want to set "ioengine=rbd", I guess.

Cheers,

----- Original Message -----
From: "min fang" <louisfang2013@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "ceph-users" <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:28:54 PM
Subject:   rbd cache did not help improve performance

Hi, I set the following parameters in ceph.conf

[client]
rbd cache=true
rbd cache size= 25769803776
rbd readahead disable after byte=0

map a rbd image to a rbd device then run fio testing on 4k read as the command
./fio -filename=/dev/rbd4 -direct=1 -iodepth 64 -thread -rw=read -ioengine=aio -bs=4K -size=500G -numjobs=32 -runtime=300 -group_reporting -name=mytest2

Compared the result with setting rbd cache=false and enable cache model, I did not see performance improved by librbd cache.

Is my setting not right, or it is true that ceph librbd cache will not have benefit on 4k seq read?

thanks.