From: "Josh Durgin" <jdurgin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jan Schermer" <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:57:44 AM
Subject: Re:  Observations with a SSD based pool under Hammer

On 02/26/2016 01:42 PM, Jan Schermer wrote:
> RBD backend might be even worse, depending on how large dataset you try. One 4KB block can end up creating a 4MB object, and depending on how well hole-punching and fallocate works on your system you could in theory end up with a >1000 amplification if you always hit a different 4MB chunk (but that's not realistic).
> Is that right?

Yes, the size hints rbd sends with writes will end up as an xfs ioctl
to ask for MIN(rbd object size, filestore_max_alloc_hint_size) (1MB for
the max by default) for writes to new objects.

Depending on how much the benchmark fills the image, this could be a
large or small overhead compared to the amount of data written.

Josh