Adding multiple OSDs to existing cluster

Hi,

We have been running Ceph in production for a few months and looking
at our first big expansion. We are going to be adding 8 new OSDs
across 3 hosts to our current cluster of 13 OSD across 5 hosts. We
obviously want to minimize the amount of disruption this is going to
cause but we are unsure about the impact on the crush map as we add
each OSD.

>From the docs I can see that an OSD is added as 'in' and 'down' and
wont get objects until the OSD service has started. But what happens
to the crushmap while the OSD is 'down', is it recalculated? are
objects misplaced and moved on the existing cluster?

We think we would like to limit the rebuild of the crush map, is this
possible or beneficial.

Thanks,

Ed Rowley