erasure code backing pool, replication cache, and openstack

New user.  :)

I'm interested in exploring how to use an erasure coded pool as block storage for Openstack.  Instructions are on this page.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/erasure-code/

Of course, it says

"It is not possible to create an RBD image on an erasure coded pool because it requires partial writes. It is however possible to create an RBD image on an erasure coded pools when a replicated pool tier set a cache tier:"

So I have set up a erasure-coded backing pool with a replicated cache tier.  This seems to work.

Also, I've set up a cinder backend to use the erasure coded pool (with cache tier) as block storage for Openstack.  Because traffic is redirected from the backing pool to the cache tier, I set up the cinder backend to reference the backing pool.

Again, this seems to work.   But, I wonder whether the cinder backend configuration should reference the backing pool or the cache tier?   Because of the redirected traffic, I'm not sure that it matters.

Jon