Re: Set cache tier pool forward state automatically!

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 22:42:32 -0700 Robert LeBlanc wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Christian Balzer  wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 16:57:09 -0700 Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > That's an interesting strategy, I suppose you haven't run into the
> > issue I wrote about 2 days ago when switching to forward while running
> > rdb bench?
>
> We haven't, but we are running 0.94.5. If you are running Firefly,
> that could be why.

I just finished downgrading my test cluster from testing to Jessie and
then upgrading Ceph from Firefly to Hammer (that was fun few hours).

And I can confirm that I don't see that issue with Hammer, wonder if it's
worth prodding the devs about.
I sorta dread the time the PG upgrade process will take when going to
Hammer on the overloaded production server.
But then again, a fix for Firefly is both unlikely and going to take too
long for my case anyway.

> > In my case I venture that the number of really hot objects is small
> > enough to not overwhelm things and that 5K IOPS would be all that
> > cluster ever needs to provide.
>
> We have 48x Micron M600 1TB drives. They do not perform as well as the
> Intel S3610 800GB which seems to have the right balance of performance
> and durability for our needs. Since we had to under provision the
> M600s, we should be able to get by with the 800GB just fine. Once we
> get the drives swapped out, we may do better than the 10K IOPs as well
> as the recency fix going into the next version of Hammer it will help
> with writeback. With our new cluster, we did fine in writeback mode
> until we hit that 10K IOP limit, then we started getting slow I/O
> messages, turning it to forward mode and things sped up a lot.

Yeah, I'm using 800GB DC S3610s as well.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/