pg dump question

New ceph user, so a basic question

I have a newly setup Ceph cluster.   Seems to be working ok.  But . . .

I'm looking at the output of ceph pg dump, and I see that in the osdstat list at the bottom of the output, there are empty brackets [] in the 'hb out' column for all of the OSDs. It seems that there should OSD ids listed in those brackets because each OSD should be reporting heartbeats out to at least some other OSDs. Or so I think.

On the other hand, the hb in column has non-null entries -- meaning (I think) that the OSD is receiving heartbeats from at least some other OSDs.

It's curious to me, because if OSD 1 is reporting heartbeats in from OSD2, why wouldn't OSD 2 list OSD 1 in its hb out list?

Is there an answer for this, and is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks