Re: Default CRUSH Weight Set To 0 ?

Hi,

On 02/04/2016 03:17 PM, Kyle Harris wrote:
Hello,

I have been working on a very basic cluster with 3 nodes and a single OSD per node.  I am using Hammer installed on CentOS 7 (ceph-0.94.5-0.el7.x86_64) since it is the LTS version.  I kept running into an issue of not getting past the status of undersized+degraded+peered.  I finally discovered the problem was that in the default CRUSH map, the weight assigned is 0.  I changed the weight and everything came up as it should.  I did the same test using the Infernalis release and everything worked as expected as the weight has been changed to a default of 321.

- Is this a bug or by design and if the latter, why?  Perhaps I'm missing something?
- Has anyone else ran into this?
- Am I correct in assuming a weight of 0 won't allow the OSDs to be used or is there some other purpose for this?
The default weight is the size of the OSD in tera bytes. Did you use a very small OSD partition for test purposes, e.g. 20 GB? In that case the weight is rounded and results in an effective weight of 0.0. As a result the OSD will not be used for data storage.

Regards,
Burkhard