Re: SSD Journal

<<inline

From: Jan Schermer [mailto:jan@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:51 PM
To: Somnath Roy
Cc: Tyler Bishop; ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SSD Journal

Thanks for a great walkthrough explanation.

I am not really going to (and capable) of commenting on everything but.. see below

On 28 Jan 2016, at 23:35, Somnath Roy <Somnath.Roy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Ceph needs to maintain a journal in case of filestore as underlying filesystem like XFS *doesn’t have* any transactional semantics. Ceph has to do a transactional write with data and metadata in the write path. It does in the following way.

"Ceph has to do a transactional write with data and metadata in the write path"

Why? Isn't that only to provide that to itself?

[Somnath] Yes, that is for Ceph..That’s 2 setattrs (for rbd) + PGLog/Info..

1. It creates a transaction object having multiple metadata operations and the actual payload write.

2. It is passed to Objectstore layer.

3. Objectstore can complete the transaction in sync or async (Filestore) way.

Depending on whether the write was flushed or not? How is that decided?

[Somnath] It depends on how ObjectStore backend is written..Not dynamic..Filestore implemented in async way , I think BlueStore is written in sync way (?)..

4.  Filestore dumps the entire Transaction object to the journal. It is a circular buffer and written to the disk sequentially with O_DIRECT | O_DSYNC way.

Just FYI, O_DIRECT doesn't really guarantee "no buffering", it's purpose is just to avoid needless caching.

It should behave the way you want on Linux, but you must not rely on it since this guarantee is not portable.

[Somnath] O_DIRECT alone is not guaranteed but With O_DSYNC it is guaranteed to be reaching the disk..It may still be there in Disk cache , but, this is taken care by disks..

5. Once journal write is successful , write is acknowledged to the client. Read for this data is not allowed yet as it is still not been written to the actual location in the filesystem.

Now you are providing a guarantee for something nobody really needs. There is no guarantee with traditional filesystems of not returning dirty unwritten data. The guarentees are on writes, not reads. It might be easier to do it this way if you plan for some sort of concurrent access to the same data from multiple readers (that don't share the cache) - but is that really the case here if it's still the same OSD that serves the data?

Do the journals absorb only the unbuffered IO or all IO?

And what happens currently if I need to read the written data rightaway? When do I get it then?

[Somnath] Well, this is debatable, but currently reads are blocked till entire Tx execution is completed (not after doing syncfs)..Journal absorbs all the IO..

6. The actual execution of the transaction is done in parallel for the filesystem that can do check pointing like BTRFS. For the filesystem like XFS/ext4 the journal is write ahead i.e Tx object will be written to journal first and then the Tx execution will happen.

7. Tx execution is done in parallel by the filestore worker threads. The payload write is a buffered write and a sync thread within filestore is periodically calling ‘syncfs’ to persist data/metadata to the actual location.

8. Before each ‘syncfs’ call it determines the seq number till it is persisted and trim the transaction objects from journal upto that point. This will make room for more writes in the journal. If journal is full, write will be stuck.

9. If OSD is crashed after write is acknowledge, the Tx will be replayed from the last successful backend commit seq number (maintained in a file after ‘syncfs’).

You can just completely rip at least 6-9 out and mirror what the client sends to the filesystem with the same effect (and without journal). Who cares how the filesystem implements it then, everybody can choose the filesystem that matches the workload (e.g. the one they use alread on a physical volume they are migrating from).

It's a sensible solution to a non existing problem...

[Somnath] May be but different client has different requirement, can’t design OSD I guess based on what client will do..One has to do all effort to make OSD crash consistent IMO..

Probably, it would be better if filestore gives user a choice where to use journal or not based on client’s need….If client can live without being consistent , so be it..

So, as you can see, it’s not a flaw but a necessity to have a journal for filestore in case of rbd workload as it can do partial overwrites. It is not needed for full writes like for objects and that’s the reason Sage came up with new store which will not be doing double writes for Object workload.

The keyvaluestore backend also doesn’t have any journal as it is relying on backend like leveldb/rocksdb for that.

Regarding Jan’s point for block vs file journal, IMO the only advantage of journal being a block device is filestore can do aio writes on that.

You also don't have the filesystem journal. You can simply divide the whole block divice into 4MB blocks and use them.

But my point was that you are getting even closer to reimplementing a fileystem in userspace, which is just nonsense.

[Somnath] Ceph tries to do some coalescing internally, but consider the filesystem coalescing as well for journal file write and it is smart..

Other than this transaction logic, it is piggy backing to the filesystem , so, I don’t think filestore is anywhere near to re-implement a filesystem..IMO, the burden of Bluestore is way more than filestore as it has to implement lot of stuff now that we were safely relying on filesystem so far…

Now, here is what SanDisk changed..

1. In the write path Filestore has to do some throttling as journal can’t go much further than the actual backend write (Tx execution). We have introduced a dynamic throlling based on journal fill rate and a % increase from a config option filestore_queue_max_bytes. This config option keeps track of outstanding backend byte writes.

2. Instead of buffered write we have introduced a O_DSYNC write during transaction execution as it is reducing the amount of data syncfs has to write and thus getting a more stable performance out.

3. Main reason that we can’t allow journal to go further ahead as the Tx object will not be deleted till the Tx executes. More behind the Tx execution , more memory growth will happen. Presently, Tx object is deleted asynchronously (and thus taking more time)and we changed it to delete it from the filestore worker thread itself.

4. The sync thread is optimized to do a fast sync. The extra last commit seq file is not maintained any more for *the write ahead journal* as this information can be found in journal header.

Here is the related pull requests..

Regarding bypassing filesystem and accessing block device directly, yes, that should be more clean/simple and efficient solution. With Sage’s Bluestore, Ceph is moving towards that very fast !!!

This all makes sense, but it's unnecessary.

All you need to do is mirror the IO the client does on the filesystem serving the objects. That's it. The filesystem journal already provides all the guarantees you need. For example you don't need "no read from cache" guarantee because you don't get it anywhere else (so what's the use of that?). You don't need atomic multi-IO transactions because they are not implemented anywhere but at the *guest* filesystem level, which already has to work with hard drives that have no such concept. Even if Ceph put itself in the role of such a smart virtual drive that can handle multi-IO atomic transactions then currently there are no consumers of those capabilities.

What do we all really need RBD to do? Emulate a physical hard drive of course. And it simply does not need to do any better, that's wasted effort.

Sure it would be very nice if you could offload all the trickiness of ACID onto the hardware, but you can't (yet), and at this point nobody really needs that - filesystems are already doing the hard work in a proven way.

Unless you bring something new to the table which makes use of all that then you only need to bench yourself to the physical hardware. And sadly Ceph is nowhere close to a single SSD performance even when running on a beefy cluster while the benefits it supposedly provides are for what?

Just make sure that the same IO that the guest sends gets to the filesystem on the OSD. (Ok, fair enough it's not _that_ simple, but not much more complicated either - you still need to persist data on all the objects since the last flush (which btw in any real world cluster means just checking as there was likely an fsync already somewhere from other clients))

Bam. You're done. You just mirrored what a hard drive does, because you mirrored that to a filesystem that mirrors that to a hard drive... No need of journals on top of filesystems with journals with data on filesystems with journals... My databases are not that fond of the multi-ms commiting limbo while data falls down throught those dream layers :P

I really don't know how to explain that more. I bet if you ask on LKML, someone like Theodore Ts'o would say "you're doing completely superfluous work" in more technical terms.

Jan

Thanks & Regards

Somnath