Re: Infernalis, cephfs: difference between df and du

Hi,

On 18/01/2016 05:00, Adam Tygart wrote:

> As I understand it:

I think you understand well. ;)

> 4.2G is used by ceph (all replication, metadata, et al) it is a sum of
> all the space "used" on the osds.

I confirm that.

> 958M is the actual space the data in cephfs is using (without replication).
> 3.8G means you have some sparse files in cephfs.
>
> 'ceph df detail' should return something close to 958MB used for your
> cephfs "data" pool. "RAW USED" should be close to 4.2GB

Yes, your predictions are correct. ;)

However, I still have a question. Since my previous message, supplementary
data have been put in the cephfs and the values have changes as you can see:

    ~# du -sh /mnt/cephfs/
    1.2G	/mnt/cephfs/

    ~# du --apparent-size -sh /mnt/cephfs/
    6.4G	/mnt/cephfs/

You can see that the difference between "disk usage" and "apparent size"
has really increased and it seems to me curious that only sparse files can
explain this difference (in my mind, sparse files are very specific files
and here the files are essentially images which doesn't seem to me potential
sparse files). I'm not completely sure but I think that same files are put in
the cephfs directory.

Do you think it's possible that the sames file present in different directories
of the cephfs are stored in only one object in the cephfs pool?

This is my feeling when I see the difference between "apparent size" and
"disk usage" which has increased. Am I wrong?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the explanations Adam.

--
François Lafont