Re: Dealing with radosgw and large OSD LevelDBs: compact, start over, something else?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 3:10 AM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I don't have exact info to sure this is the problem for your case,
>> > before I
>> > met this problem and because leveldb own single compaction thread which
>> > consume lots of time on compress/uncompress to do compaction.
>> >
>> > what's your version, I guess "leveldb_compression" or
>> > "osd_leveldb_compression" can help
>>
>> This is on Hammer.
>>
>> Could you please clarify the semantics of leveldb_compact_on_mount and
>> leveldb_compression for OSDs though? Like I said, it looks like
>> neither of those options is documented anywhere.
>

> "leveldb_compact_on_mount": when osd boot, it will try to manually call
> compact, this produce may consume lots of time while booting
> "leveldb_compression": it's a option pass to leveldb internal, leveldb will
> compress each freeze L1+ block, so when iterate leveldb or compaction lots
> of blocks need to be compressed and uncompressed

Okay, thank you. So to summarize,

- leveldb_compact_on_mount does compaction on boot, which may consume
a lot of time for a 20GB omap, and is off by default.

- leveldb_compression does compression on every write and
uncompression on every read (which may be slow if the omap is large
and needs to be iterated), and is on by default.

Now that raises a few more questions (sorry for persisting here — I
really want to get to the bottom of this):

- If an omap is already 20G in size, how much larger will it get with
compression disabled?

- How exactly would slow omap *iteration* also significantly slow down
radosgw object *creation* (as evident from rest-bench), where there
really shouldn't be any iteration involved? Or does radosgw have to
enumerate *all* LevelDB entries associated with the bucket index
object(s) for some reason, before it can update the index?

- Is your suggestion, given the scenario I've described here, to
enable leveldb_compact_on_mount and disable leveldb_compression? (I
believe it is, just making sure.)

- If large, compressed, uncompacted omap directories cause radosgw to
slow down significantly, wouldn't it be a better idea to reverse the
defaults (meaning to enable compaction and disable compression)?

Cheers,
Florian