Re: Metadata Server (MDS) Hardware Suggestions

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Simon  Hallam <sha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I’m looking at sizing up some new MDS nodes, but I’m not sure if my thought
> process is correct or not:
>

> CPU: Limited to a maximum 2 cores. The higher the GHz, the more IOPS
> available. So something like a single E5-2637v3 should fulfil this.

No idea where you're getting the 2 core part.  But a mid range CPU
like the one you're looking at is probably perfectly appropriate.  As
you have probably gathered, the MDS will not make good use of large
core counts (though there are plenty of threads and various
serialisation/deserialisation parts can happen in parallel).

> Memory: The more the better, as the metadata can be cached in RAM (how much
> RAM required is dependent on number of files?).

Correct, the more RAM you have, the higher you can set mds_cache_size,
and the larger your working set will be.

> HDD: This is where I’m struggling, does their speed/IOPs have an significant
> impact on the performance of the MDS (I’m guessing this is dependent on if
> the metadata fits within RAM)? If so, does the NVMe SSDs look like the right
> avenue, or will standard SATA SSDs suffice?

The MDS does not store anything on local drives.  All the metadata is
stored in RADOS (i.e. on the OSD nodes).  All that goes locally is
config files and debug logs.

John