Re: Monitor rename / recreate issue -- probing state

On 12/13/2015 12:26 PM, deeepdish wrote:

>> This appears to be consistent with a wrongly populated 'mon_host' and
>> 'mon_initial_members' in your ceph.conf.
>>
>>  -Joao
>

> Thanks Joao.   I had a look but my other 3 monitors are working just
> fine.   To be clear, I’ve confirmed the same behaviour on other monitor
> nodes that have been removed from the cluster and rebuild with a new IP
> (however same name).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but let me clarify what I meant a bit.

Existing monitors take their monmap from their own stores. All monitors
in a quorum will see the same monmap. Existing monitors do not care
about the configuration file for their monmap.

'mon_host' and 'mon_initial_members' are only used by clients trying to
reach the monitors AND when creating a new monitor.

Therefore, when creating a new monitor, 'mon_host' must contain the ips
of the existing monitors PLUS the monitor you are creating, and
'mon_initial_members' must contain the hosts of the existing monitors
PLUS the host of the monitor you are creating.

Your initial email reflected a lot of other ips on the
'extra_probe_peers' (which is basically the contents of mon_host during
the probing phase, while the monitor tries to find the other monitors),
which is consistent with mon_host being wrongly populated.

  -Joao